Pages

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Blog Vacation: Destination Innisfree

I won't be writing on my blog for a while, and I wanted to let you know. I don't know how long a while may be. Could be 2 days and could be 2 months. I'll know when a while has passed by the way it feels to think of writing again.

I feel so overwhelmed by responsibilities. I feel strangled by the commitments I've made. I feel that my life has become a succession of details, and I've lost the feeling of living without a script. I have to go to co-op; I have to go to soccer; I have to write blog posts; I have to make podcasts; I have to teach my classes; I have to go to parties; I have to do all kinds of things. No one made me do them, and individually, I like them all. But put together, they make a sticky web out of my life, and I am the fly stuck in them.

So, I am busting out. I don't have to podcast for a while since Jenn's family is in town this weekend. I can spend all of co-op and soccer lying on a blanket, reading poetry and American history. I can walk to and from my classes barefooted and picking up dandelions. I can skip parties if I want to. I can go on a blog vacation. "I hear it in the deep heart's core" that I must do these things. I will let go of the things I can, and I will drape the things I cannot let go of with daisy chains. Here's my plan, summed up pretty darn well by Yeats:

THE LAKE ISLE OF INNISFREE

By William Butler Yeats

I will arise and go now, and go to Innisfree,
And a small cabin build there, of clay and wattles made;
Nine bean rows will I have there, a hive for the honeybee,
And live alone in the bee-loud glade.

And I shall have some peace there, for peace comes dropping slow,
Dropping from the veils of the morning to where the cricket sings;
There midnight's all a-glimmer, and noon a purple glow,
And evening full of the linnet's wings.

I will arise and go now, for always night and day
I hear lake water lapping with low sounds by the shore;
While I stand on the roadway, or on the pavements gray,
I hear it in the deep heart's core.

1892

1 comment:

The Rest of the Internet said...

You go take care of you and yours. We'll find some way to carry on without you. And we'll still be here when you decide to come back.