Pages

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

My Teaching Philosophy

For my composition pedagogy class, I wrote the following teaching philosophy. It is my earliest draft of the teaching philosophy I will submit to community colleges in my job application packet next year. I'd love to hear any comments, especially from other teachers. What do you agree with? What do you do differently?

My freshman composition teacher returned our first essays with comments, a grade, and an appointment for a one-on-one consultation about my writing. The conversation at that appointment, about content, style, and grammar, was the single best experience I ever had with a writing teacher. We talked one-on-one, discussing my specific writing challenges and how I could improve; I shared my general academic goals and goals for my writing; and he showed me that I had an ally, a mentor I could rely on to help me learn academic writing. That conference exemplified individual and student-centered teaching and shaped my own teaching philosophy.

My vision of a student-centered class begins with my vision of the student. Just as John Holt saw himself as playing the cello, rather than learning to play the cello, I see each student as a writer, working on his writing, rather than someone who will only do “real writing” when he is finished learning. The students and I are peers, all adult writers, and we all bring knowledge to the classroom. I probably have more knowledge and experience about academic writing, but the students have other kinds of knowledge and experiences, equally valid and important. Vygotsky theorized that students can learn most effectively when teachers provide scaffolding to bridge the gap between the things they already know and do well and the things they are trying to learn. I use scaffolding in the form of encouragement, examples of excellent student writing, feedback on papers, and collaboration with more advanced peers, and I tailor the amount of support to each student’s individual needs and goals, strengths and weaknesses. I attempt to provide just the right amount of scaffolding for each student, aiming to keep them in Vygotsky’s zone of proximal development, not underestimating them and not pushing them beyond their current limits.

I envision my role in the classroom as a mentor and a guide. I have some expert knowledge about college writing from which they may benefit, and I have facilitation skills that can help them get the most out of class discussions and group activities. Depending on what the student needs, I am an active listener, a moderator of discussions, a coach, a resource, a critical reader, or a devil’s advocate. I agree with David Bartolomae that a part of my job is to initiate the students into “the peculiar ways of knowing, selecting, evaluating, reporting, concluding, and arguing that define the discourse of our [academic] community." I teach my students to translate their own thoughts into academic language and to read academic writing with understanding. I break down writing tasks into manageable pieces so that students experience success in this new discourse and learn to think of themselves as capable writers.

To keep the focus of the class on each student’s writing goals, I try to individualize assignments as often as possible, allowing students to do writing that is applicable to their interests, including writing for their churches, jobs, or social groups, writing for their chosen discipline, and writing about themselves and their experiences. Like Piaget, I am a constructivist and believe that students must build knowledge for themselves through research, conversation, and challenging the ideas of authority figures, including the teacher and the academy. They must learn writing, not by listening to me talk about writing or by reading about writing, but by actually writing. The focus of my classroom is on student learning, not on my teaching, so the majority of the class time is spent on discussions, in-class writing activities, individual writing conferences with me (especially early in the semester), and peer editing of at-home writing assignments. Because the individual student knows better than anyone what is relevant to him and what is or is not working for him, I take student feedback about class time and assignments very seriously. I have found that some of the best ideas for improving my teaching and for engaging the students more effectively have come from student suggestions. In one course, feedback from students allowed me to restructure my evaluation system in a more effective way.

My favored way to teach and to learn is in large group discussion. I love to talk and to listen to others and to argue about ideas, and I know many of my students do as well. However, because each of my students is important to me as an individual, I try to vary my classroom activities. Along with large group discussion, I include small group activities like peer editing, collaborative writing, and pre-writing conversations, which might appeal to more introverted students. For students who prefer to work alone and only share a finished product, I include individual in-class writing assignments and lectures with thought problems to be considered in class. I try to include some practical application in every class, whether it is a conversation applying the principles we learn to our own lives or a writing assignment practicing a new skill. I want the students to constantly apply their new knowledge, since I believe that only knowledge which is relevant to our lives is remembered and transferred to other settings.

Lisa Delpit has heavily influenced my ideas about students whose home language is not English or not the standard dialect of English. I see teaching Standard English as my duty as a writing teacher, but I am open with my students about the fact that non-standard dialects and other languages are not wrong. I use the home language of my students as a scaffold on which to build knowledge of Standard English, pointing out the similarities and differences. I want my students to be able to code-switch and to use Standard English in settings where it is appropriate, without losing the dialect or language that links them to their communities and families.

When I remember the effect that the conference with my freshman writing teacher had on me, how motivated I felt to improve my writing, how much better I understood my own strengths and weaknesses as a writer, how much support I felt in my struggle to learn academic discourse, I am inspired to make my own teaching as student-centered and individual as I possibly can. I hope to have the kind of profound effect on my students, their writing, and their entire academic experience as that professor had on me.

8 comments:

Shea Levy said...

Thanks for posting this, Kelly. More insight into how you work and I think you'll make an kick-ass writing prof.

Daniel said...

I think there are some (very) serious things wrong with it, but are you aware of the writing courses from Institute for Excellence in Writing?

Kelly Elmore said...

I am not aware of those courses. I'd love to hear more about them.

P.S. A comment like that seems like a rude bomb dropped on my blog unless you give some specifics. If you don't want to expand and discuss, why say it at all?

Kelly Elmore said...

Ok, totally my bad. It was just pointed out to me that you were talking about the Institute for Excellence in Writing, not my blog post. That makes way more sense.

I was like, "Why is Daniel being so mean?" I should have known the answer was, "He isn't. He's a super nice guy." Sorry.

Anyway, tell me more about this institute, if you think you can risk making statements that I may completely misinterpret.

Daniel said...

Hi Kelly:

It's past my bedtime so this response has to be quick.

The Institute for Excellence in Writing produces a course on writing which is widely praised by homeschoolers and even used at VanDamme Academy.

The main vice is that it encourages kids to "dress up" their writing, by adding in adverbs and adjectives and clauses and so on.

I consider that a vice as it changes the focus from what needs to be said to how someone else wants you to say it--and it thus automatizes bad thinking and sloppy writing.

The program has strong points. For example, it presents interesting material to kids, teaches them how to extract outlines from their readings, and then has them write it back.

But the "dress up" exercises are so bad, and so integral to the program, that I think they nullify much of its value.

Anyway, my quick question--and of course a nice one!--was just to see if you had any position on it.

Kelly Elmore said...

Daniel,

I looked around their site a little and found it hard to understand their core beliefs. From your summary, I would agree. I hate the idea that style is the important thing. I hate the idea of adding in words to sound smart instead of clearly presenting smart ideas. I believe in transparent writing. The writing should be see through, you should hardly notice it, because the focus is on the ideas.

I do really like pulling outlines out of essays and then rewriting; I think of it as the Ben Franklin technique. I don't like thinking of the outline as the only way to pre-write, though. I have known excellent writers who didn't use outlines.

Does VanDamme use the dressing up exercises? I heard a video that Lisa VanDamme did about how some of her kids were focusing so much on style that they didn't focus enough on content. She had to do some reteaching. Wonder if this program is the reason?

Daniel said...

I'm not sure of the video you're talking about but, given this course, it makes sense that students would focus on style too much.

VanDamme uploaded some videos on writing a year ago in which she took questions from parents. In those, a parent said that she noticed her children using a lot of adjectives--adjectives that they did not even understand.

Now that's a direct result of the teaching method, one that I think anyone can expect (given the nature of kids and their grasp on concepts).

To be fair, VanDamme's response was that you have to get kids to use new words and there will be a stage after doing so where they misuse them. Those errors, she said, can be corrected--just like in speech--and over time the students would have a fuller vocabulary.

I agree that kids often learn words in this fumbling sort of way and I have no doubt that VanDamme teachers make those concepts solid in a student's mind over time.

But that doesn't change the fact that any student working through this program is likely to end up with papers overdosing on adverbs and adjectives and unneeded clauses. If they don't, it's because the teachers are spending a lot of time correcting errors that are baked in to the student's mind via the program's method.

Although many English teachers in college drool over such papers--a selling point for the program amongst many homeschoolers--that doesn't turn them into examples of good writing.

Daniel said...

I love this subject so much that I can't resist adding something. You wrote:

"I don't like thinking of the outline as the only way to pre-write, though. I have known excellent writers who didn't use outlines."

Some people write (and speak) well without a detailed outline, let alone notes.

But I think this is a function of such people knowing the subject well and having achieved a good psycho-epistemology.

What they're doing in such a case is not writing from a prepared outline but writing from a prepared mind--which amounts to roughly the same thing.

Consider the person who doesn't use outlines but talks about the subject in-depth with people beforehand. What are they doing? They're working through the importance of each point, in general and in relation to other points; they're gathering concrete examples of principles involved; and so on.

When such a person sits down to write, they'll say they don't need an outline, and they may not--but that's because they've done a lot of work creating an unwritten one already.

(In fact, to the extent that they're "anti-outline," the student probably does a lot more work than necessary. Because they don't know what they're doing when talking about something they want to write on--creating an unwritten outline--their questions aren't purposeful and they merely go around and around a subject until it all "comes together" and they feel ready to write.)

In any case, when this type of person finally does write, it often comes out very natural and reads that way--because they're writing from their subconscious (a skill that many people who write from outlines have yet to learn).

I'd love to write more, specifically on vocabulary--an intimately connected area that's ripe for a revolution--but I have to get to work.

You're going to be an excellent teacher! I think you'll be especially good helping students one-on-one, in talking with them, which is the direction you're heading.