Since Decoration generally kicks off summer for me, I thought I would blog about it and maybe try to actually keep you updated on all my summer adventures.
Here's a list of stuff we did:
1. On the drive to MS and back, Livy and I listened to Amelia Peabody books, while she worked on multiplication, read Dr. Seuss, and drew both imaginary scenes (for instance a dragon fighting a zombie T-Rex) or sketched things we found (like a big leaf and a dead butterfly).
2. My mom and I found the oldest grave in Egger Cemetery, a lady named Anne Egger, who was born in 1763. We talked to her great, great, great, great granddaughter, who told us that they probably came to Caledonia by way We also found a set of Kirkpatrick graves nearly that old and were excited by the name. Probably early Scots-Irish immigrants to the area. The name Caledonia certainly suggest Scotland.
3. We decorated all our people, and the graves looked lovely.
4. Livy and I went with my mom and Mimi to the little cemetery chapel service on Sunday morning, which I haven't done since I was a child. The piano was out of tune, just the way I remember it, and that made the singing even better. We sang old hymns that I knew well, and it wasn't so terribly hot as usual.
5. I got a great idea for a book. The first book I have ever really thought about writing.
6. On the way home, Livy and I drove highway 278 all the way across northern Alabama instead of taking the interstate.
7. We slammed on the brakes and turned into a road labeled Natural Bridge and ended up hiking around the longest natural bridge east of the Rockies. It was beautiful and we saw a snake. A motorcycle lady is supposed to facebook a picture to me for identification.
8. We found a monastary in Cullman, AL. We walked the Stations of the Cross, culminating at the abbey cemetery and a pretty little chapel with those brightly colored statues that Catholics seem to be fond of. Really cool find.
Now we are home. Livy has gone to her dad's house, and I am headed to Savannah this morning. More posts from there, I hope.
1 comment:
They came to Caledonia by way of where? I was there with you, but my mind is like a sieve.
Post a Comment