Check out Sorting Hat Chats for an overview of the system I am using. It isn't Harry Potter canon, because, let's face it, that f-ing hat was a pushover and fairly unobservant.
John Galt: Gryffindor/Gryffindor
I don't feel like I know him all that well because he's not a very fleshed out character, but based on the fact that the second he saw that a company was headed down a dangerous road, he walked immediately out and started a campaign to bring down the whole world, I'm going to say Gryffindor secondary. And probably Gryffindor primary because it isn't like we see him pondering this and figuring it out (though he might have done that at some point). Instead, he passionately experiences right and wrong in a very black and white way, so Gryffindor Primary.
Dagny Taggart: Gryffindor/Gryffindor
When Dagny sees the whole Gulch and has it explained to her, that's not enough. She has to feel what is right down to her core. And when she feels the rightness of something, that's all it takes. She'll immediately rush in boldly and do everything it takes (examples: John Galt Line, banging Hank Rearden then dropping him like a hunky hot potato, flying a plane into what looks like a big mountain). We know she isn't a Slytherin primary because her loyalties shift as fast as Jim Taggart's ideals. She loves Francisco. When she meets a man she FEELS is BETTER (wow, so Gryffindor), she immediately moves on. Then again when she meets an even more IDEAL (wow, so Gryffindor) man. And she leaves her oldest friend to die in a disintegrating world, though he is the only good person she knew for most of her life and though he has been her greatest aid at work. But it's okay because he's only a Hufflepuff.
Eddie Willers: Slytherin / Hufflepuff
Eddie has an inner circle he loves and would die for. It includes Dagny and her railroad. Other people are fine and dandy, but they aren't HIS. That says Slytherin primary to me. I think his main method is to show up every single day and do the hard work that it takes to take care of his inner circle. He will just keep going forever, even on that train that his inner circle left him on to die, so Hufflepuff secondary. Some of my dearest friends are Slytherin/Hufflepuffs, and if any f-ing Gryffindors idealistically leave them on a train to die because they are only saving the world through hard work instead of flair, I'll be pretty mad.
Hank Rearden: Slytherin modeling Gryffindor primary/Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw secondary
Hank is my favorite, so I might accidentally be biased in my evaluation. But I'll try. I think he is a Slytherin primary who takes on whatever morality his inner circle holds. He takes care of his own: Lilian, his mother and brother, his family. He buys into the morality they hold about the co-dependent pairing of an over-giver and an over-taker. Then he learns through the book, it seems to me, not the system of morality a Ravenclaw might learn, but to love Dagny and John Galt and especially Francisco. When he loves them, he adopts their morality and becomes that. So he ends up modeling Gryffindor because of how strong a Slytherin primary he really is. As far as secondary, he seems to mix always showing up and doing the work (Hufflepuff) with the desire for data and facts (Ravenclaw). Basically, the dude gets to be a Randian hero because he learns to model Gryffindor primary like all the GOOD people.
Francisco D'Anconia: Gryffindor/Slytherin
Francisco seems another Gryffindor primary. He has a passion for the right and moral that is strongly felt. His secondary seems Slytherin to me, though, because of his extreme adaptability and ability to do all kinds of things to acheive the goal he feels so deeply to be right.
Ragnar Danneskjold: Ravenclaw modeling Gryffindor/Gryffindor
Now, I might be a little biased here because I desperately want there to be a Ravenclaw hero in every book, song, or movie. I don't know Ragnar all that well, but all the other characters are so busy telling me how into philosophy he is, how thinky he is, etc that I am going to imagine that he is a Ravenclaw who built his systems up into one where the best way to act on truth is to let it flow out of you in black and white rivers of moral rightness. So Ravenclaw building/adopting a Gryffindor primary model? And then anyone who decides the best way to enact the truth in the world is to become a PIRATE, an actual PIRATE, is obviously a Gryffindor secondary.
Hugh Akston: Slytherin / Hufflepuff
Slytherin primary seems obvious to me here. Akston has his 3 boys, and he'll make room for their wives. His little family is his world. John might have figured out everything on earth there is to know; Ragnar might have become a PIRATE of RIGHTEOUSNESS; and Francisco might be destroying everything he owns in one big manipulative game of identity hide and seek. But Hugh Akston just sees HIS BOYS. I think he's a Hufflepuff secondary because he uses love and community and stability and caring to help that inner circle acheive their goals. I wonder why he gets to be happy in the Gulch while Eddie dies in the train? They seem to have similar motivations and methods, but Eddie made the mistake of putting a railroad and a really fickle woman in his inner circle. Maybe girls are just too boy crazy in this world to remember their Slytherin/Hufflepuffs once they catch sight of their IDEAL men.
Robert Stadler: Ravenclaw / Ravenclaw
Uh oh, here's a person who is not a Gryffindor primary or modeling one or supporting an inner circle of Gryffindor primaries. Basically, the red shirts of Atlas Shrugged. Disaster is coming! Stadler has built a system of truth where science is the only thing that matters (That's where I see the disaster, BTW. Be a Ravenclaw by all means, but make sure that system models reality closely!). He is driven by the desire to keep improving his system at any cost, even his soul. He's basically the Atlas Shrugged Doctor Faustus. And his method for getting stuff done? Data, experiment, Ravenclaw secondary-ing the crap out of some goats.
I'd love to hear your thoughts about whether I typed these characters accurately. It's been a long time since I read the books, and there may be lots of details I have forgotten (or misremembered) that would change these types.
1 comment:
This seems spot on, and your comments about Hank (especially the last line) are really interesting.
Post a Comment