Wednesday, June 10, 2009
Papaw the Paratrooper
When I was a little girl, maybe 8 years old, my grandfather (Papaw) decided that he wanted to grow more muscadine vines in the yard. He already had quite a few, and I remember lying under them in the summer, enjoying the cool shade and eating muscadines that grew on the underside of the vines. The expansion project was to be on a huge hill on the side of the yard, so we had to terrace the hill. It was very steep, probably about a 45 degree angle, and Papaw terraced it by hand. He was in his early 70s, I think. He used a shovel to cut flat terraces out of the hill, about 4 of them, 20 feet long. We were working there on the hill one day, digging, and he fell. I watched him roll down the hill and straight up onto his knees. I ran down the hill, terrified, shouting, "Papaw, are you okay?" He stood up, brushed off his pants, gave me a scathing look, and said, "I parachuted into the Pacific. I can roll down a hill." Then, properly chastened and never daring to think of him as feeble again, I followed him back up the hill and started work again.
Labels:
family stories
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
What a wonderful story! Thank you for sharing.
I'm with Ansley. Great story!
Awesome!
He was a really amazing guy. I got to thinking about him because when I was gardening with Ryan, I noticed how similar they are. In interests at least. My grandfather was an extremely silent man (not very Ryan-like in that way!). But he enjoyed manual labor, was very precise and wanted everything done to his standards, loved to measure and quantify, wanted to understand the science of everything, and always wore long sleeves and pants no matter what the weather. I was telling Ryan about those things and about what an agronomist peopleguy does, and it got me thinking about Papaw.
I was always entertained when he would brag that he could run a 5 minute mile in jump boots!
Post a Comment